4.02.2006

Neil Young: Heart of Gold



I saw the movie Neil Young: Heart of Gold and it was extraordinary. It started a little like a documentary, but basically turned into his concert at the Grand Ole Opry on film. I have never been a huge Neil Young fan, but the movie interested me because I've heard a lot about his newest CD, Prairie Wind, and he is quite talented. Shortly after he started work on the CD he was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm. He proceeded to write a record the entire album in a week and a half because he wasn't sure if he would be able to finish after his operation. Well, he got better and decided, along with academy award winning director Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs), to make his album into a film. What comes out in the end is an incredible narrative of an old man looking back at his life and communicating very openly with his friends and loved ones. It is apparent through the film that Neil Young is a complete musical genius and carries most of his friends along for the ride. After about and hour and 15 minutes, he finishes the new CD and starts playing some of his classics, but the best part of the movie is all the new stuff. I recommend this movie to anyone. I think whether you are a Neil Young fan or not, you will still enjoy it. Personally, I am going to get my hands on the CD asap.

*Colorful side note - All the people on stage with him are hilarious to watch. I suggest the bassist and the back-up singers for the most hilarious award.

No comments: