5.31.2007

05.31.07

I don't know how everyone else feels, but personally I hope Mike Vick gets slammed for this whole dog fighting thing. I know that dog fighting is illegal, deplorable and disgusting, but that is not even my major issue. My problem is that no matter how benign or major his involvement in the activity was, I am sick and tired of pro athletes doing illegal or stupid shit and getting off with no more than a insignificant fine or reprimand. Small, team imposed fines don't seem to affect these guys and only substantial losses of cash are even going to make them think twice about their actions. I am a fan of the NFL's new behavior policies and so far I think Roger Goodell has done a good job implementing and enforcing them. The fact of the matter here is that no matter what happens to Vick in the courts, whether he is charged heavily or just as an accomplice, he still owned the property where dog fighting occurred. That alone should be enough for suspension under the new NFL policy and criminal charges of some kind. I know they are probably going to wait until the legal proceedings are done so that the extent of his involvement is fully known, but what happens in the meantime. I hope everything comes to light soon and people will step up with evidence so the NFL can lay down its verdict sooner. Right now it looks like Mike Vick will get a reprieve until 2008, unfortunately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen brother these just because someone has talent in a sport does not give them as get out of jail card i mean our justice system is pretty much already a joke (paris hilton). I i give a strong kudos to goodell for giving at least a little credibility back to pro sports after the whole steroid thing.

Anonymous said...

He won't live long if he takes the field. I would imagine there will be some shots taken at the knees or throwing arm (the latter of which, unfortunately, wouldn't affect his game). There are A LOT of pet owners in the NFL that will be salivating at ending this shithead's career. I say, let him play!!!